>

History

from monastery to modern festival town

818/819
First recorded mention of the Benedictine monastery of Feuchtwangen

1197
First mention as a canonical college

1241
Feuchtwangen becomes an imperial town

1376
Town and college become subject to the burgrave of Nuremburg, later the margrave of Brandenburgh-Ansbach. End of imperial freedom. Around 1400 after the destruction of the town by the Swabian League in 1388, the two parts of  Feuchtwangen were surrounded by a single town wall.

1533
Lutheran Church introduced throughout the margrave's territories.

1563
The college is dissolved and its possessions fall to the margrave.

1618-1648
Feuchtwangen is repeatedly plundered during the Thirty Years' War

1791
Margrave Carl Alexander annexes his lands to the Kingdom of Prussia.

1806
With incorporation into the new Kingdom of Bavaria, Feuchtwangen becomes home to a local district court, leading to local (and regional) district offices and a regional court. In the 19th century the face of the town changes. Large parts of the fortifications are pulled down.

1945
The heavy stream of refugees means a considerable new impetus for the

1972
Feuchtwangen loses its regional administrative status. With the assimilation of ten hitherto independent parishes, the number of inhabitants doubles.

1999
The Building Academy, the main training centre for the Bavarian building trade, moves into the former Barracks of the Grand Master.

2000
The Bavarian casino is opened.

2005
The town has developed into an important commercial centre and, with 12,300 inhabitants, is the largest town in the Ansbach region.

Volltextsuche

Facebook Logo RSS Logo

Kontakt

Stadt Feuchtwangen
Kirchplatz 2 | 91555 Feuchtwangen
Tel.: +49 9852 9040 | Fax: +49 9852 904200
E-Mail